Re: Linux/MIPS for DECstations...

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Linux/MIPS for DECstations...
From: "Harald Koerfgen" <hkoerfg1@ford.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 11:03:51 +0100
Cc: afritz@iname.com
Comments: Authenticated sender is <hkoerfg1@dttws020.merkenich.ford.com>
Hi all,

> > I just tried it on my 5k/25 and got all the way to a page fault in the
> > swapper! (39.01 Bogos!)  Much farther along than I thought. :)

Adam, I'm afraid I have to disappoint you. A small patch hasn't made
it into Paul's 2.1.14.2.dec Kernel and your BogoMIPS reading is by
factor of 1.5625 to high. Change HZ in include/asm-mips/param.h to 64
and you should get a "real BogoMIPS"(tm) reading of 24.97 (just
kidding ;-)).

> Yay!  Yes, there was a spurt of good work in the first few months of
> the year, when I integrated lots of code from various people,
> cleaned up lots of other code, *and* wrote new code too!
>
> > >No documents have come to light, though someone on the Linux/MIPS
> > >mailing list mentioned that the Alpha AXP3000 uses the same ASIC as
> > >the 5000/240, and is well-documented!
> >
> > Which ASIC is that?  (function-wise)
>
> I'm not sure - the TURBO-channel one I assume...

This I/O Module-IOCTL ASIC is the glue logic, that holds the I/O
Subsystem together. *All* I/O Ports on the IOASIC DECstations
(5000/xx, 5000/1xx and 5000/2x0) are addressed through this ASIC and
it even supports DMA-Channels for the SCSI, Ethernet and Serial
Ports.

The Manual I've mentioned seems to be worth a look.

Keep hacking,
Harald