Re: Linux/MIPS for DECstations...

To: afritz@iname.com (Adam Fritzler)
Subject: Re: Linux/MIPS for DECstations...
From: paul@softway.com.au (Paul Antoine)
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 14:59:20 +1000 (EST)
Hi Adam,

> >I began another round of re-integration with what was then the main
> >tree, which is now out of date.  I feel I should do that in order to
> >be able to hand it over cleanly.
>
> Is that the 2.1.14 set available on your web page?

Yep.

> I just tried it on my 5k/25 and got all the way to a page fault in the
> swapper! (39.01 Bogos!)  Much farther along than I thought. :)

Yay!  Yes, there was a spurt of good work in the first few months of
the year, when I integrated lots of code from various people, cleaned
up lots of other code, *and* wrote new code too!

> >No documents have come to light, though someone on the Linux/MIPS
> >mailing list mentioned that the Alpha AXP3000 uses the same ASIC as
> >the 5000/240, and is well-documented!
>
> Which ASIC is that?  (function-wise)

I'm not sure - the TURBO-channel one I assume...

> What documentation is available at the moment?  (Besides the ps docs at
> gatekeeper)

Here is the email from Harald that mentions them:

        "The Design of the DEC 3000 AXP Systems, Two High-performance
        Workstations" (http://www.digital.com/info/DTJ804/DTJ804PF.pdf).

        In Chapter "6 I/O Subsystem" it says:

        "[...]
        I/O Module-IOCTL ASIC

        A key I/O subsystem design decision was to reduce
        time-to-market by eliminating unnecessary new hardware and
        software development. To support most of the I/O
        functionality, the designers chose the IOCTL ASIC developed
        for the DECstation 5000 Model 240.  [...]"

        and to make things even better, these Alpha Workstations are
        pretty well documented :-).

        You may want to have a look at the "DEC 3000
        300/400/500/600/700/800/900 AXP Models System Programmer's
        Manual" available online at:

          ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/dec-docs/ek-d3sys-pm.ps.gz.

        From what I have read so far, this I/O-Subsystem seems to be
        nearly the same in all IOASIC DECstations, i.e. 5000/xx,
        5000/1xx and 5000/240. There is hope!

> I might be able to handle co-cooridation of the project.  Just what
> is the proper way to subscribe to the Linux/MIPS mailing list?  I
> got a couple of subscription confirmed messages over a year ago and
> have never recieved any other messages!
>
> Adam
> (  Adam Fritzler   afritz@iname.com                            )
>                  http://afritz.base.org/

I think something happened when the list was moved... you could try
again (I've cc'd this into the list so others may answer the question
for you).

Regards,
Paul