Re: Linux/MIPS for DECstations...

To: afritz@iname.com (Adam Fritzler)
Subject: Re: Linux/MIPS for DECstations...
From: paul@softway.com.au (Paul Antoine)
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 10:41:34 +1000 (EST)
Adam,

> Has there been any progress in the Linux/MIPS port to DECstations in
> the 5 months since the web page has been updated?  It seems quite
> slow-moving compared to most Linux efforts these days! :)

Some of us have been pretty busy in our real lives... my job as CEO of
this organisation has consumed up to 18 hours per day, 6 days a week,
over the last 8 months, which is simply *not* conducive to doing much
work on the port! :-(

> I could probably be of more help now that I have plenty of
> experience with Linux kernel code.  (I've emersed myself into the
> Linux/m68k for Macintosh port -- much the same postition as the
> DECstation stuff: little to no documentation.)  I haven't looked at
> any of the MIPS code in almost a year, so if you have anything that
> isn't available off the web page, let me know.

I began another round of re-integration with what was then the main
tree, which is now out of date.  I feel I should do that in order to
be able to hand it over cleanly.

> Has there been any luck in getting docs from DEC?  (If you need
> scanning and OCR capabilities, let me know -- I just got myself a
> wonderful new HP scanner! :) It could save you some shipping costs
> since they will probably be coming from inside the states (where I
> happen to be).

No documents have come to light, though someone on the Linux/MIPS
mailing list mentioned that the Alpha AXP3000 uses the same ASIC as
the 5000/240, and is well-documented!

> Also just making sure you're still alive down there...
> Adam
>
> (  Adam Fritzler   afritz@iname.com                           )
>                  http://afritz.base.org/
>
>    Linux/mac68k:                  (Linux for 68k Macintoshes)
>       http://www.maclinux.org/
>       http://afritz.base.org/linux-mac68k/

...and kicking!!  Just *real* busy... I hope to have some holidays in
the latter half of October, and want to get the source together
properly then.  I would be quite willing to hand over co-ordination of
the project to you (or anyone else!) if you'd like to do that and have
the time (I would still contribute of course!).  In the meantime, look
at what's there and we can chat via email/mailing list.

Regards,
Paul