Re: DECstation News

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECstation News
From: Harald Koerfgen <harald.koerfgen@netcologne.de>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 17:14:52 +0200 (MEST)
Sender: harry@franz.netcologne.de
On 26-Sep-97 Florian Lohoff wrote:

[no success in booting a DS5000/240 via tftp snipped]

>I had no linux kernel but tried to boot a netbsd kernel via tftp on
>the same machine (5000/240). The Boot Prom told me that the normal
>BSD Kernel was no ECOFF (a.out blafufasel) and the NFS Kernel
>crashed after starting.

I'd be happy to come so far. My Boot Prom shows me

>>boot 3/tftp

???
? PC:  0x80021fe4<vtr=NRML>
? CR:  0x30000010<CE=3,EXC=AdEL>
? SR:  0x30080000<CU1,CU0,CM,IPL=8>
? VA:  0xa000ef3a

and no packet is hitting the wire (tested with tcpdump).
What Prom Version do you have? Mine is V5.1b.

>As i have an EProm Programmer i will have a look at the Proms. Somebody
>opened one of those machines ? Std EProm or what kind of (NV)R[ao]m
>is on the Mainboard ?

Yes, I have opened the box. The Prom is a standard 27c020 Eprom.

>BTW: Could someone give me a small hint where to get newest Linux-Mips
>development kernel and maybe a cross-compiler to develop on a different
>linux-i386 box with the tftp server.

The latest DECstation kernel is available at

ftp.fnet.fr/pub/system/linux/Mips/ftp.softway.com.au/linux-2.1.14.2.dec.tar.gz.

IIRC the cross-development tools should be available somewhere in

/pub/system/linux/Mips/crossdev.

>BTW: I might put 1 or 2 Decstations
>online for development for everyone ( 5000/240 and 5000/150 ). Maybe ill
>develop a remote reset|power switch so that remote developers may reboot
>the DecStation and have a Null-Modem cable to a serial port on an
>development station.

This sounds like fun. Especially the 5000/150 might be of interest, because it
has a 50 Mhz R4?00 daughterboard.

>If there is enough feedback ill try my best.

Yes, please.

--
regards
Harald Koerfgen