Re: DECstation News

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECstation News
From: Florian Lohoff <flo@mini.gt.owl.de>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 16:31:26 +0200 (MET DST)
On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, Harald Koerfgen wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> I haven't had time to spent in kernel hacking the last few month but
> this week I got a 5000/240 and started playing around with this
> thing. First result: This beast won't boot via tftp (broken PROM).
> Now I have to find out how to convert the kernel image into a MOP
> file and boot via mopd :-(.

I had no linux kernel but tried to boot a netbsd kernel via tftp on
the same machine (5000/240). The Boot Prom told me that the normal
BSD Kernel was no ECOFF (a.out blafufasel) and the NFS Kernel
crashed after starting.

As i have an EProm Programmer i will have a look at the Proms. Somebody
opened one of those machines ? Std EProm or what kind of (NV)R[ao]m
is on the Mainboard ?

BTW: Could someone give me a small hint where to get newest Linux-Mips
development kernel and maybe a cross-compiler to develop on a different
linux-i386 box with the tftp server. BTW: I might put 1 or 2 Decstations
online for development for everyone ( 5000/240 and 5000/150 ). Maybe ill
develop a remote reset|power switch so that remote developers may reboot
the DecStation and have a Null-Modem cable to a serial port on an
development station.

If there is enough feedback ill try my best.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff     mailto:flo@mini.gt.owl.de      Phone:+49-5241-470566
Privates Internet Ostwestfalen-Lippe, Guetersloh - http://www.gt.owl.de