DECstation News

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: DECstation News
From: "Harald Koerfgen" <hkoerfg1@ford.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 15:21:20 +0100
Comments: Authenticated sender is <hkoerfg1@dttws020.merkenich.ford.com>
Hello again,

I haven't had time to spent in kernel hacking the last few month but
this week I got a 5000/240 and started playing around with this
thing. First result: This beast won't boot via tftp (broken PROM).
Now I have to find out how to convert the kernel image into a MOP
file and boot via mopd :-(.

Now the good news. By searching Digital's Web Site about Information
on this behaviour I stumbled across:

"The Design of the DEC 3000 AXP Systems, Two High-performance
Workstations" (http://www.digital.com/info/DTJ804/DTJ804PF.pdf).

In Chapter "6 I/O Subsystem" it says:

"[...]
I/O Module-IOCTL ASIC

A key I/O subsystem design decision was to reduce time-to-market by
eliminating unnecessary new hardware and software development. To
support most of the I/O functionality, the designers chose the IOCTL
ASIC developed for the DECstation 5000 Model 240.
[...]"

and to make things even better, these Alpha Workstations are pretty
well documented :-).

You may want to have a look at the "DEC 3000
300/400/500/600/700/800/900 AXP Models System Programmer's Manual"
available online at
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/dec-docs/ek-d3sys-pm.ps.gz.

>From what I have read so far, this I/O-Subsystem seems to be nearly
the same in all IOASIC DECstations, i.e. 5000/xx, 5000/1xx and
5000/240. There is hope!

may the source be with you
Harald