Re: Help! got stuck on the DS2100/3100

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Help! got stuck on the DS2100/3100
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@informatik.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 04:38:59 +0200 (MET DST)
> 2)  Hmm.  I guess this should have been 1, since it appears first - but I
> think I found it second!  Anyways, there is a call to register_console which
> passed "rex_printf".  This lead to an immediate core dump the first time
> printk was called (at the end of boot.S).  Once I changed this to prom_printf
> I was rewarded with a bunch more of the boot sequence!  Now I get to the
> loop delay calibration, where the machine hangs.

The argument type of register_console has been changed some time ago.
The old arguement was a pointer to a routine which prints a \0 terminated
string.  Newer kernels expect struct console * as argument.  See
<linux/console.h> for the definition of the structure and some more
documentation about it's content.

> Can anyone give me a quick explanation of how this routine works, and why
> it _isn't_ working?  I notice that just above there is a note requesting
> that someone "write the time init code for the DECstation" -- is this why
> it isn't working (because the clock interrupt isn't being serviced?)

Yes.  This routine should initialize whatever timer is being used on a
particular machine.

> This is fun!

Wheee!!!