Re: Help! got stuck on the DS2100/3100

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Help! got stuck on the DS2100/3100
From: Frieder Streffer <frist@lehr.chem.tu-berlin.de>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 09:29:07 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 4 Sep 1997, Stu Allen wrote:

> > Hi there,
> > I had some time these days to do some work on the DS2100/3100 port.
> > I found 2 scheduling hazards in the macros SAVEALL and RESTOREALL, after
> > this fix the memory sizing routine runs well.
> >
> > Now I got stuck in kernel_entry, when the bss is cleaned. There are two
> > adresses _edata and _end, which are set by the linker as I understand. On
> > my machine these are both zero, but they shouldn't be, I think.
> >
> > I'm not familiar with the linker internals nor with the ecoff file format,
> > so could some, please, make some suggestions to solve the problem!
> >

> OK, prompted by this success (!?), I've finally gotten motivated to try
> building my own kernel for my DECsystem 5100.  As you all might remember,
> Paul and I (actually Paul did all the work; I just tested his kernels!)
> figured out back in May that this beast is, at least from a PROM standpoint,
> pretty much like a 3100, so the calls to write to the 3100 console work on
> this thing too.  With Paul's last kernel, I get as far as the "Linux version
> 2.1.14 (paul@slither) ... " banner, and then it crashes.
>
> Is the memory sizing routine the next thing that runs after that banner?
>
> OK, so tonight I built a kernel of my own, using Paul's "linux-2.1.14.2.dec"
> source tree.  I had to create a couple links (one of which was quite odd,
> and I can't figure out where it gets requested!), but after I did that the
> "make vmlinux" went fine.  I just now remembered the note on Paul's web page
> that describes how to put the kernel in the correct format (using objcopy),
> and once I did that it loads and gets me to the same point as Paul's kernel.
>
> So where do I go next?

Hi Stu,
probably the only problem you have is that Paul did forget to copy the
execption handle to the correct location. There were some Mail's around
just after ther e release of Paul's "linux-2.1.14.2.dec" concerning that
topic. I do not have the source here but it was something like

  memcopy(KSEG0+0x80, execpt_vec0, 0x80);

just in the beginning of get_pmax_memorysize of arch/mips/dec/decstation.c.
May be you can find the original mail of Paul, or I will post the correct
statment tomorrow.

so long,

Frieder