Re: Olivetti M-700 Help needed

To: <linux-mips@fnet.fr>
Subject: Re: Olivetti M-700 Help needed
From: "Eric Zidovec" <ericz@fikus.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 23:05:02 -0400
Hey there,

I have one of those damn things too.  The odds are that it's not working on
the 8mb simms that you put in there. The place that I got mine from had
nothing but problems getting those size of simms working.   They suggested
4/16mb ones instead which I picked 16mb Siemens ones (60ns) and they work
just fine.  What rev of floppy do you have.  I can probably dd my set for
you and send them down the pipe.   By the way, I've tried getting in touch
with Olivetti about manuals and no one seems to know anything about these
boxes.  Apparently, they were made with NT in mind and Microsoft dumped
support for them....

Regards,

Eric

----------
'andy@soft-n-hard.de'; 'linux-mips@fnet.fr'; 'sawyerk@apci.net';
'ralf@informatik.uni-koblenz.de' <ralf@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>;
'linux@waldorf-gmbh.de'; 'phil@zipmail.co.uk'
> Subject: Olivetti M-700 Help needed
> Date: Friday, August 08, 1997 9:50 AM
>
> First of all Excuse me for the intrusion.
> If you don't want to answer I won't bother you again.
> I found your E-mail Address into a news message related to M700.
> I contacted you as you may have information on this computer.
>
> I managed to find a couple of M700 to be donated to a non profit
> organization. The machines where cannibalized.
>
> No RAM - no HD - no CDROM - no Floppy Drive
> No Keyboard - no CPU cooling FAN - no scsi cable
> NO MANUALS
>
> I managed to find:
>       one 2.88meg Floppy, 2 scsi cdroms, two PC keyboards, some 8mb simms with
parity, one Boot Floppy set (Rather old), a couple of small cooling fans
for the cpu, two quantum SCSI HD 3.2GB, a scsi cable and a couple of scsi
terminators.

> My problem is that no matter what I install, when I switch on the
computer, it doesn't boot. The Power led Blinks for one second and then it
shuts down.