Decstation and Linux

To: Linux-mips <linux-mips@fnet.fr>
Subject: Decstation and Linux
From: Parkinson Tony <ParkinsonT@plcbrk.siemens.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 10:21:00 +0100
Hi guys

I have a Decstation 5000 240 and am interested in getting Linux up and
running. I have a few questions which I hope you can help with.

1. I have downloaded a distribution which has unpacked as
linux-2.1.14.2.dec is this the latest or most suitable? before I waste a
lot of time with it.

2. I guess I need a linux system on which to compile everything? or is
anything else suitable?

3. Currently my machine has no software at all, I guess the best way to
get it running is to net boot to another machine?  I have access to Sun
machines running SunOS 4.13 or Solaris 2.5 will either be suitable?

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

Regards

Tony