Re: Filesystem

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Filesystem
From: cdemps@lsumc.edu (Dempsey, Charles)
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 1997 16:48:54 -0500
Ryan wrote:

> I have a functioning filesystem now, using the old root-0.01 with the
> newer tar.gz files untarred on top of it--ie, glibc, fileutils, etc.  But
> mount refuses to behave correctly.  Whenever I try to mount a filesystem,
> be it ext2 or NFS, mount dies with a bus error.

I have the same problem (bus error) so we know it's not a hardware problem.

It is a time consuming process to create and modify this file system. Would it
be
possible to create a rootdisk ala Slackware with a minimal system and a few
utilities
on it? If we could fdisk, mount, tar, gunzip, etc it would be very handy for
testing
purposes. I've read the bootdisk HOWTO but before I do this, has anyone else
gone down
this path? I've not been successful in compiling a kernel with ramdisk support.

Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:

> I have the same problem, and Ralf told me, that I need a new mount binary.
> But I haven't compiled a new mount to see wether that's all I need.

Which package is mount in? The filesystem got more stable after I installed
some of
the mips.rpms, but then I installed some more and it got worse.

Thanks,
Charles