Re: mips rpms. Very funny.

To: cdemps@lsumc.edu (Charles A. Dempsey)
Subject: Re: mips rpms. Very funny.
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@informatik.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 21:37:43 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
> Does anybody have a little endian rpm binary for the mips? -NOT- in rpm
> package format please. If you do please upload it to
> hplc3.phar.lsumc.edu /pub/MIPS and/or e-mail me and tell me where it can
> be found.

Sorry, I knew that I forgot something.  Will upload an updated package
as .tar.gz and .rpm rsn.

Quick fix: on your Intel RedHat box do the following:

  cd <mips-box-nfs-root>
  rpm2cpio <path-of-rpm-package.rpm> | cpio -i --verbose

You now have rpm installed and can type the following on your MIPS box:

  rpm --initdb
  rpm --install <path-of-rpm-package.rpm>

The first line will make shure you have a valid database of installed
packages, the second line will install rpm again.  This time the package
will correctly be added to the data base.

> I'm having a small problem with the mipsel-linux rpms. First the
> instructions for building and installing rpm are sparse to say the
> least. Nevertheless I managed to do it.
>
> Unfortunately, rpm -i <package> says error cannot open
> /var/local/lib/rpm/packages.rpm.

Running "rpm --initdb" on the MIPS box should fix that.