after having found a couple of bugs in binutils 2.7 during the last
time I decided it'd about time to go for 2.8 instead of putting more
time into 2.7. Out of the frying pan into the fire ...
- binutils 18.104.22.168 still need the special patches to gas/config/tc-mips.c
to be applied. Otherwise they will reject the %HI, %hi and %lo
operators. Good so far, we never needed as few patches.
- since some pre-2.8 version binutils do optimize the case of the -N.
This helps to reduce the output filesize but somehow ld layouts
the segments wrong which results in a unuseable kernel. Removing
-N from the LDFLAGS in arch/mips/Makefile is a workaround.
- The %gp_rel() operator is not implemented in GAS. This means that
we cannot assemble PIC code with GAS that is produced by current
- ld spits messages about _gp_disp changing type. Dunno why yet.
- GAS still doesn't deal with _huge_ loops. The only program I know
of which is affected is lmbench, but that alone is reason enough
to fix it :-)