Re: linux on mips

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Subject: Re: linux on mips
From: Charles Esson <charlese@cvs.com.au>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 1997 17:41:25 +1000
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Sender: charles@interconnect.com.au
Ralf Baechle wrote:

> > There seems to be a lot of good mips processors for real time work.
> >
> > Would anyone have the time to tell me the state of linux on mips ( The
> > FAQ talks about verion 1.X.XX kernels. Is the FAQ out of date or is
> > there a shortage of people working on the project).
> >
> > What would be a good machine to buy to develop on.
>
> Depends on what you want to do.  The Indy is a nice workstation we
> support.  The SNI RM200 is more PC-like.  But if you are more out
> for building some special hardware, you probably want to go for an
> evaluation board.  I'm hacking on a P4032; several other people have
> done more or less complete ports to other eval boards for example
> from IDT.  If price is influences you choice most, then try to get
> something like a second hand Magnum 4000 or Olivetti M700.
>
>   Ralf  (stoping before he sounds to much like some marketing droid ...)
Thanks for your responce.

In the end We will be building some special hardware, but I want to get
the software sorted out first on someone elses known to be working
hardware. I think the R5000 will do the job nicely. They seem to have an
evaluation board thet plugs into the 4600 evaluation board (79S465).

Do you know the email of someone working on this?

As an aside do you know anyone who has written a native FORTH for the
mips ( for the critical real time processors).

Regards