Re: linux on mips

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr, charlese@cvs.com.au
Subject: Re: linux on mips
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@informatik.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 01:11:08 +0200 (MET DST)

> There seems to be a lot of good mips processors for real time work.
>
> Would anyone have the time to tell me the state of linux on mips ( The
> FAQ talks about verion 1.X.XX kernels. Is the FAQ out of date or is
> there a shortage of people working on the project).
>
> What would be a good machine to buy to develop on.

Depends on what you want to do.  The Indy is a nice workstation we
support.  The SNI RM200 is more PC-like.  But if you are more out
for building some special hardware, you probably want to go for an
evaluation board.  I'm hacking on a P4032; several other people have
done more or less complete ports to other eval boards for example
from IDT.  If price is influences you choice most, then try to get
something like a second hand Magnum 4000 or Olivetti M700.

  Ralf  (stoping before he sounds to much like some marketing droid ...)