Re: Status ...

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Status ...
From: Miguel de Icaza <miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 11:23:42 -0500
>  - Neither RedHat nor any of the other availble distributions has a
>    concept of bootstrapping out on a system where almost nothing is
>    installed.  So it's an annoying game to find out which packages
>    to build in which order ...

We did this very thing with the Linux/SPARC port.  This is what Erik
Troan suggested at the very beginning of the porting process:

This is a mail from November 29 1995, when we had just the
cross-compiled libc (and this was based on the RPM 1.x which used
perl, so that explains why he lists perl as one of the very first
things to port):

> Here's a good starting point:
>
>     MAKEDEV SysVinit adduser bash bdflush cpio crontabs dev
>     dialog diffutils e2fsprogs etcskel file fileutils findutils
>     getty_ps grep gzip initscripts less libcsparc ncompress
>     ncurses net-tools npasswd perl procps psmisc rootfiles rpm
>     sed setup sh-utils sysklogd tar termcap textutils time
>     util-linux vim
>
> This will get you something useable. For development work to happen, you'll
> need these as well:
>
>     binutils bison byacc flex gcc make patch texinfo
>
> That isn't enough for networking though. Here's what you need for basic
> networking:
>
>         NetKit-A NetKit-B tcp_wrapper
>
> If you get all of those packages built, it should be easy to get an NFS
> install working. A CD install is about twenty seconds after that ;-) If
> you get all of this working, the rest will be pretty easy.

cheers,
Miguel.