Re: problems crosscompiling on SGI

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr, oliver@aec.at
Subject: Re: problems crosscompiling on SGI
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@informatik.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 14:45:59 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi,

> after setting up the crosscompiler from out of the binary dist, i am now
> trying to crosscompile a kernel on an indigo2 impact (irix 6.2).
>
> first i am having the problem that "make depend", "make" all want to use cc as
> the compiler, even when i have HOSTCC=mips-linux-gc -and-
> CROSS_COMPILE=mips-linux- ..

Well, it tries to do this because it's correct.  mkdep is a program
which will be executed on IRIX, not Linux, so the native compiler cc
or gcc should be used.  Therefore HOSTCC is wired to cc.  The configuration
script will select the correct prefix for the tool names for you based
on the byteorder you are compiling for and if you're doing native or
a crosscompile.  In your case the value mips-linux- for CROSS_COMPILE
is correct.

> when i try to to some compilations by hand, like (in the kernel source root):
> > mips-linux-gcc -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -o scripts/mkdep scripts/mkdep.c
>
> i get the following errors:
>
> In file included from /usr/local/mips-linux/include/linux/fcntl.h:4,
>                  from /usr/local/mips-linux/include/fcntlbits.h:24,
>                  from /usr/local/mips-linux/include/fcntl.h:33,
>                  from /usr/local/mips-linux/include/sys/fcntl.h:1,
>                  from scripts/mkdep.c:9:
> /usr/local/mips-linux/include/asm/fcntl.h:55: parse error before
> `__kernel_off_t'
> /usr/local/mips-linux/include/asm/fcntl.h:55: warning: no semicolon at end of
> struct or union
> /usr/local/mips-linux/include/asm/fcntl.h:56: warning: data definition has no
> type or storage class
> /usr/local/mips-linux/include/asm/fcntl.h:58: parse error before `l_pid'
> /usr/local/mips-linux/include/asm/fcntl.h:58: warning: data definition has no
> type or storage class
> /usr/local/mips-linux/include/asm/fcntl.h:60: parse error before `}'
> /usr/local/mips-linux/include/asm/fcntl.h:60: warning: data definition has no
> type or storage class

Which libc did you install?  It looks like a outdated libc problem.
A source snapshot from the CVS is available on ftp.linux.sgi.com in
/pub/linux/mips/testing/.  I'll put binaries on FTP asap.  A replacement
of the libc binaries is long overdue.