Subject: Re: LINUX MIPS
From: Ryan Rafferty <>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 16:17:25 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 20 Jun 1997, Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <> Ralf Baechle writes:
> : The N64 is not supported yet but someone is taking a stab at it.  So if
> : Nitendo-Linux ever happens it will still take a while.
> Would you need the special developer's kit to run Linux on the N64?
> Or would it run somehow off a cdrom or something.  How would
> disk/network devices fit into the picture?

Funny thing is, I believe that the developer's kit is composed mostly of
FSF software--gcc, gas, etc.  However, getting the compiled code onto a
cartridge may well be proprietary until someone reverse engineers them.

It didn't take long for people to reverse engineer many components of the
Super Nintendo, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if information
regarding the N64's peripheral interface becomes availible.  Then, if
you're industrious enough, you could throw together your own
periphs--ethernet, SCSI, whatever you have too much time for, if you have
an EE degree =).

When the bulky drive comes out, it could act much like a small hard disk.