Re: libc

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: libc
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@Julia.DE>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 01:03:21 +0200 (MET DST)
> Since the TLB code for the Magnum is fubar, I'm sticking with the
> much-outdated 2.0.21 kernel until either I or someone else can figure out
> how to fix 2.1.36.  With that in mind, I'm looking for the version of libc
> that will work with the '.21 kernel.  On fnet, I found that the latest
> libc in the archive was released on 06/19/96 (June 19, 1996) but I haven't
> unpacked it yet to see which version it is.

libc-960619 says that it is a libc snapshot.  The source are not related
to any particular version.

> If I recompile the userland packages against libc-960619, will the 2.0.21
> kernel be able to boot to a shell?

Most programs will run at least somehow.  Note that between libc-960619
and GNU libc 2.0.x are worlds in term of reliability.  There are as well
some incompatibilities.

I've uploaded Sources of GNU libc 2.0.1 which should be available at
fnet and kernel.panic as libc-2.0.1.targ.gz.

> PS--when I received the free AUI->10b2 transceiver that Lantronix so
> nicely gave away, I recompiled a kernel to include support for the Sonic
> ethernet controller, but the kernel couldn't find it on my Magnum.  I
> suppose this may be a discrepency between the Magnums and the Olivetti, or
> because I'm using an outdated kernel.  In any case, the ne2000 driver
> works well.

Yuck.  It works just great on both Acer and M700.