Re: MkLinux

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: MkLinux
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@informatik.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 14:49:32 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: chris@cybernet.co.nz
Hi,

>     Again, this may be a silly question with a simple answer...But has any
>     thought been given to simply porting MkLinux to MIPS hardware.
>
> Probably, the speed would suck. I used to really like the idea of a
> micro-kernel coming from a text book, but reality is something quite
> different.

If you do things right speed isn't that bad.  The Microkernel approach
gives you a nice and easy to understand OS structure.  On the other side
for things like a filesystem you get multithreading for free.  In
a microkernel OS you end up implementing some part of a monolithic kernel
again ...  Not to mentioned that all the microkernels I've seen violate
their own strict structuring rules.

> I think DEC cheated a bit by placing everything in the same address space
> anyhow for this reason. (Or was this only for OSF/1?)

The Evil Empire did the same for NT 4.0.