Re: RS 6000

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: RS 6000
From: tor@spacetec.no (Tor Arntsen)
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 21:38:32 +0200
On May 28, 20:28, Sven Neumann wrote:
>I've got a short question about the status of Linux/MIPS. A friend of
>mine got his hands on a machine that is said to have a RS 6000 cpu. It
>was fabricated by IBM (at least the label says so). Unfortunatley I
>don't have any more details about the computer now, but I would like to
>know if there's a chance that we might Linux working on that machine?

It *could* be that it's not really an RS 6000, but instead a PowerPC, and
in that case it is a chance that it can (or will be able to) run
Linux/ppc.
But if it's an older IBM RT then it's no.

In any case it's not a MIPS CPU, so Linux/MIPS is out of the question..

Tor
(currently snowed over with an IBM/SP2 system, which is ~RS 6000)