Re: Compiling

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Compiling
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@informatik.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 11:20:42 +0200 (MET DST)
> A couple of quick questions about compiling. I have been trying to get
> Apache, qpopper and DNS to cross compile. The native compile for intel
> and PPC both work fine but the cross compile to mips generates more
> header errors than I can keep track of.
> I am making the assuption that I have installed the cross compiler
> (and/or includes) incorrectly even though it builds the kernel just fine.
> Has anyone else managed to get Apache to build and if so what
> configuration ?

Block port 80 ;-)

> gcc 2.7.2-1, libc-951212, and binutils 2.6-1

Just to also send an answer to the list - you should really should
upgrade to gcc 2.7.2-3 and binutils-2.7-3.  Binutils 2.6 can not handle
PIC code, so don't even dream about using it for userland stuff.

I always wanted to fix two bugs before releasing the sources and binaries
of GNU libc 2.0.2 to the net but never came around, so I'll release
them with the bugs later this day:

  - with GNU libc 2.0 and newer make seems to loose file descriptors.  When
    running big jobs it may run out of file descriptors.
  - the startup code passes a bad argv[0] pointer.  This is the return of
    a bug fixed long time ago ...