Shablamm

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Shablamm
From: Ryan Rafferty <ryan@ravage.labs.gmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 23:05:22 -0400 (EDT)
While I'm anticipating the arrival of the ShaBLAMM card I bought, my mind
has been flying through ideas of how to make it useful.  I'm sure NT will
work fine, but Linux will probably take a bit of work to boot.

The primary problem that comes to my mind is how to figure out which
signals the 486 board has to send to the Nitro in order for it to become
active.  After that, I'll need to figure out how the board communicates
with the bus and the host processor (some esoteric configurations spring
to my mind--since I own a 486 VLB/PCI combo board I might try fitting the
Nitro into the VLB slot on it and seeing if it can see the PCI bus... but
that's a bit in the future =).  I'm assuming the 486 remains active once
the Nitro "takes over" the motherboard, and that the Nitro actually
accesses the bus by sending commands to the 486--that would make to most
sense from little I know, but it could be 100% wrong...

Anyway, I apologize for wasting mailbox space with my mental wanderings,
but I'd appreciate any ideas people might have to "sniff" the bus while
booting NT in order to see what signals are being sent to the Nitro.

Is mise le meas,
Ryan Rafferty