Re: Binutils for IRIX

To: knobi@munich.sgi.com (Martin Knoblauch)
Subject: Re: Binutils for IRIX
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@informatik.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 11:41:29 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: ralf@informatik.uni-koblenz.de, linux-mips@fnet.fr
> Ralf,
>
>  due to problems with GNU support vs. IRIX 6.x, I would advise
> that one should configure all packages that deal with binary
> code for mips-sgi-irix-5.3 (--host, --target and --build).
> This makes life a bit easier. See this URL for a bit more
> of the gory details. The problems will hopefully be resolved
> in future versions of binutils and gcc.
>
> http://reality.sgi.com/knobi/gcc-2.7.2.x-on-irix-6.2-6.3
>
>  Built for 5.3, you should be able to put the stuff on a
> 5.3 build system as an additional benfit.

The way I've configured the tools the IRIX 6.2 binaries should also run
under IRIX 5.3.  The problems with GNU vs. IRIX is mostly only related
to IRIX 6.x as target.  But entire thing is a crosscompiler, so the
only problem I did encounter was that GCC assumes on IRIX 6.x compile
hosts that sizeof(long) == 8.  I modified the GCC sources to build
with all ABIs on IRIX.

Just to be on the safe side - could anyone running a "real" IRIX 5.3
system test the binaries?  Thanks.

I've build GCC packages in the meantime also but I don't have time to
upload them until the weekend - I'll be on the Linux Kongress for that
long.