Re: Linux on MIPS RC3xxx boxes ?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Linux on MIPS RC3xxx boxes ?
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@informatik.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 17:21:11 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi,

> A general Linux/Mips query now, are any offboard Ethernet cards supported
> yet?  I have a number of DEC DEPCA? Ethernet cards (which have Linux
> drivers in the x86 Linux world) which I am using in my PC and would want
> to use thin ethernet on my Magnum 4000 and RC3330's ? Any hope ?

Under the standard PC network cards we have three types:

 - PIO cards.  All of these are supposed to work.  I have been using a
   NE2000 clone for a long time.
 - Most shared memory cards should be working also.  Not all because some
   drivers use the memory_* functions in <asm/io.h> the wrong way which
   works on Alpha and Intel but not MIPS.
 - DMA cards.  All of these need some modifications to deal with the CPU's
   cache coherency.

   (It would be easy to implement some kind of generic kludge in kmalloc()
   and __get_free_pages().  For this class of drivers but I don't like that
   idea.)