Re: Linux on MIPS RC3xxx boxes ?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Linux on MIPS RC3xxx boxes ?
From: paul@suede.sw.oz.au (Paul Antoine)
Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 09:00:55 +1000 (EST)
Richard wrote:

> First off what is the difference between the Magnum 3000 and the RC3xxx sereis
> or ar they one and the same ?

The same... model numbers versus marketing names :-)

> I have a Mips RC3xxx server box with 2*1.2gig and 1 exabyte streamer and will
> be getting another on monday and was wondering what status the port is at to
> these older Mips boxes (if one exists at all).

Lots of later MIPS based boxes were based on these designs, which presumeably
were licensed by MIPS to people like DEC.  This means that they have always
been an implicit target, with several people (including myself) keen to
proceed when time permitted.  David Monro has recently joined us and is
throwing his efforts at the Magnums... so progress has been better in the
last few weeks.

> Supposedly the box has RISCix on one of the HDs already but no memory or
> graphics card so I will be configuring it to be run off the seriel port.

Most people here who have them seem to be in the same position.

> I was going to cannibalise one of the boxes for one of the HDs to go on my
> Magnum 4K box to try and get the serial kernel up in the near future (just
> need memory for this as well!).

The 4K box needs 72-pin *parity* SIMMS, in sets of 4.

> What sort of performance did these old RC3xxx boxes give ? Does anyone still
> use them ?

You'll get between 30 and 40 BogoMIPS out of them, which is fine for many
uses.  We still use them at Softway as workhorses running RISCyOS, but
they desperately need a better supported OS.  RISC/OS 4.51 is stable but
hasn't got dynamic libraries (much like Ultrix for the DECs), and RISC/OS
5.01 is buggy but has dynamic libraries...

> I recall seeing in the past week that someone has got it booting up on a
> 3020 does this mean there is hope for my RC3xxx (I'll get the exact
> number next week).

Yep!!

Paul