Re: odd problems

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: odd problems
From: paul@suede.sw.oz.au (Paul Antoine)
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 09:19:30 +1000 (EST)
David Monro wrote:

> I'm having trouble with the magnum port. Following the example of the
> DECstation port (I'm working with Paul's 2.1.1 tree) I decided to try moving
> the exception handlers down to 0x80000000 (since the kernel appears to only
> get
> booted if I link it at 0x81000000). Mind you I'm not entirely sure why this is
> done - Paul?

Presumeably because the boot PROM's uses that space for 'stuff'... we
can probably re-claim it once the console code is working
independently of the boot PROMs.

> Given that I am about 8km away from the machine, the only way I have
> of unwedging it is to powercycle it remotely, which I don't like
> doing very often. Wish I could get it to reset from the serial line.
>
> Any ideas?

You could make an interface from the Carrier Detect line on the modem
that closes the reset circuit, so that all you need do is disconnect
and reconnect to reset (though this could become expensive wrt phone
calls).

The other way would be to have a small intermediary board with a pair
of serial ports that would 'pass-through' most keystrokes to the
Magnum console port, but could intercept a command on which it could
close the reset circuit momentarily.  A 386 running Linux is probably
overkill, but would work.  A 286 with a DOS program (yetch!) or any
small embedded computer would do too... I have a 68000 based board
that could do the trick, but there are plenty of other options I
imagine.

Regards,
Paul