Re: Shablamm!

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Shablamm!
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@Julia.DE>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 23:16:20 +0200 (MET DST)

> Hi,
>
> > Yes, it was one of the odder spin-offs of the Great MIPS/NT Hype.  T
> > talked to the guys who made it, but only ever saw a non-functional
> > prototype.
>
> I've seen it on the CeBit two or three years ago. They had a small corner at
> MIPS/SGI. There was a demonstration running that looked really impressing,
> but I don't know if it was real or only a kind of slideshow. I even took a
> data sheet with me, maybe I still have it somewhere.
>
> > > It plugs into a PC.  I hope that's an ISA socket, because at that time
> > it might have been VL bus.
>
> I'm quite shure that it required VLB. But that's not so important, if I
> remember that right, it used the x86 PC only as an I/O subsystem and did
> everything else itself. And an old 486 with VLB should be cheap.

Does anybody still remember the UltraP modules designed by SGI?
Basically a modules that replaces the Pentium in it's sockets and provides
two socket, one for the Pentium, one for the MIPS CPU.

I wonder if these ever have been released to the market or what happend
to them.

Similar I found that Toshiba build a chipset that seems to be very closely
related to the original MIPS Magnum 4000 chipset.  I wonder if any machines
based on that have been sold?