Re: Shablamm!

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Shablamm!
From: Matthias Heidbrink <mh@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 23:12:43 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi,

> Yes, it was one of the odder spin-offs of the Great MIPS/NT Hype.  T
> talked to the guys who made it, but only ever saw a non-functional
> prototype.

I've seen it on the CeBit two or three years ago. They had a small corner at
MIPS/SGI. There was a demonstration running that looked really impressing, but
I don't know if it was real or only a kind of slideshow. I even took a data
sheet with me, maybe I still have it somewhere.

> > It plugs into a PC.  I hope that's an ISA socket, because at that time
> it might have been VL bus.

I'm quite shure that it required VLB. But that's not so important, if I
remember that right, it used the x86 PC only as an I/O subsystem and did
everything else itself. And an old 486 with VLB should be cheap.

Ciao, Matthias
---
Matthias Heidbrink
Helmstedter Str.20