Re: DECstation stuff

To: linux-mips@guadalquivir.fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECstation stuff
From: paul@suede.sw.oz.au (Paul Antoine)
Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 09:15:04 +1000 (EST)
Trevor wrote:

> *nods* Right, that was kind of what I meant.  But a lot of these guys have
> other same(ish) hardware, just different offsets for functions.  It's better
> than nothing.  And besides, using the same trick, it's certainly possible
> (depending on how dedicated a person is) to reverse engineer the use of those
> other devices as well.

True, which is why we've been using this technique.  I've been relying on the
Mach3.0 source, as that has the most complete support for the various
models.  Others have been using OpenBSD/NetBSD/...

> > If someone would tar up the Ultrix header files, I'd appreciate it... I
> > forgot to do this prior to erasing my Ultrix partition. :-)
>
> *gasp*
> But Paul, isn't that a violation of the licensing agreement?

I have a valid Ultrix license, and I wasn't proposing copying those files
for use in Linux/MIPS, just getting hold of that which my license allows
anyway (without having to re-install Ultrix!!)

Seriously though, we can't copy these files willy-nilly, and we won't.
The Mach sources allow copying provided the copyright is attributed -
presently I'm mostly using header files and little bits of code.

Paul