Re: DECstation stuff

To: linux-mips@guadalquivir.fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECstation stuff
From: Trevor Schroeder <tschroed@cheetah.wsc.edu>
Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 17:29:43 -0500 (CDT)
Other-stuff: localhost tschroed@cheetah.wsc.edu Trevor Schroeder tschroed
On Sun, 11 May 1997, Paul Antoine wrote:

> This kind of information is fine, but doesn't tell you how to talk to the
> chips, for instance, just where they are.  Common chips like the LANCE
> ethernet chip are fine anyway - we do just need to know where it is in the
> address map - however talking to the Personal DECStation's Access.Bus keyboard

*nods* Right, that was kind of what I meant.  But a lot of these guys have the
same(ish) hardware, just different offsets for functions.  It's better than
nothing.  And besides, using the same trick, it's certainly possible
(depending on how dedicated a person is) to reverse engineer the use of those
other devices as well.

> and mouse interface is another thing entirely... let alone the special ASIC's
> used in some models (many functions of which are obvious, fortunately!).
>
> If someone would tar up the Ultrix header files, I'd appreciate it... I
> forgot to do this prior to erasing my Ultrix partition. :-)

*gasp*
But Paul, isn't that a violation of the licensing agreement?

"One unerring mark of the love of truth is not entertaining
any propositions with greater assurance than the proofs it
is built upon will warrant" -- John Locke, 1690

Trevor Schroeder                    tschroed@cheetah.wsc.edu