Re: Another DECStations test kernel

To: linux-mips@guadalquivir.fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Another DECStations test kernel
From: Frieder Streffer <frist@lehr.chem.tu-berlin.de>
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 10:20:53 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 6 May 1997, Paul Antoine wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> For those of you with DS5000/xx[x]'s you may like to try the new kernel I've
> uploaded at:
>
>       ftp://ftp.fnet.fr/linux-mips/softway.com.au/dec_vmlinux.2.1.14.test2.gz
>
> It now shows BogoMIPS... but is not yet using real console code (tm).  I'm
> sorry about the large number of debugging printk's, but hey, it's a test
> kernel, right??
>
> Those with DS3100's will have to be a little patient as Frieder and I
> figure out how to use the boot PROM's for console (I'm afraid the real
> console code will take some debugging now I've munged... err... moved it
> around a bit! :-)
>
> Regards,
> Paul

Hi Paul,
I managed to figure out a PROM calling scheme based on netbsd files. The
idea behind is just having a interface to the rex_prom. If the rex_prom
is not availible (i.e. the PROM_MAGIC is not correct) one tries to
rebuild the essential functions with DS3100 ROM calls.
I will be off from tomorrow until monday, so I will send you the files in
the evening.

regards,
  Frieder