Re: Magnum 4000SC

To: linux-mips@guadalquivir.fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Magnum 4000SC
From: paul@suede.sw.oz.au (Paul Antoine)
Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 15:10:49 +1000 (EST)
David wrote:

> People were enquiring about the 4000-SC - I have a 4000SC-50 which I am about
> to start experimenting with. I also have a protocol description for the bfs
> boot code stuff so I'll be writing a basic bfs server rsn. I have no graphics
> card for this thing so I'll be using a serial console at least for the
> forseeable future. I've also still got one running RISC/OS which helps (that
> for example is where I got the bfs protocol description)

Is the protocol description adequate?  Is it from the man pages for RISC/OS
ver 5.01??  I will certainly help you test the bfsd you write (see below)...

> btw, how is the port going for the magnum 3000 series? I've also got one of
> them (a 3020 I think). I'm hoping that sooner or later I can get both it and
> the 4000 running the same binaries - is this likely to happen? (ie I really
> would prefer to run the 4000SC in big endian mode).

I have a 4000SC and a 3230, and had intended to run them both big endian as
I too am lacking a video card for the 4000SC.  Big endian shouldn't be too
much trouble, as much of the little->big work was done for the SPARC, and
used again on the SGI Indy port.

With any luck there won't be too much to do... <famous last words of a
software hacker :->  We should even be able to run SGI binaries!

Paul