Re: DECStation update...

Subject: Re: DECStation update...
From: Systemkennung Linux <>
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 02:58:58 +0200 (MET DST)

> On another note, I have been trying to setup my build environment
> on a Sparc 5 running Solaris 2.4. I built my own binaries after applying
> the patches off (gcc & binutil

The patches are intended to be applied to the vanilla FSF versions of
GCC 2.7.2 ( should work except harmless rejects, haven't checked).
But in no case use HJ Lu's binutils  It will generate unuseable
kernels with high probability.

> When I try and build a mips kernel (ralfs 2.1.14 version) the first
> problem I have is trying to build the new mkdep version. For some reason
> this uses a shared memory segment and is not well liked by solaris.
> If you do manage to get it to compile, (if I remember correctly, with a
> bit of help from the bsd compatibility libs) then it crashes the second
> time it is run :(

Yes, unfortunately you're right.

> Now if we force the issue a bit and touch .depend in the root of the source
> tree we can actually start compiling the kernel. Most of this works out
> okay except when it gets to the low level stuff and it gives me the
> following rude message:
> make[1]: Entering directory
> `/opt/home/stuarta/mips/linux-2.1.14/arch/mips/mips1'
> mipsel-linux-gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/opt/home/stuarta/mips/linux-2.1.14/include
> -I/opt/home/stuarta/mips/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2
> -fomit-frame-pointer -G 0 -mno-abicalls -fno-pic -mcpu=r3000 -mips1  -c
> r3000.S -o r3000.o
> r3000.S: Assembler messages:
> r3000.S:141: Warning: Macro used $at after ".set noat"
> r3000.S:230: Warning: Macro used $at after ".set noat"
> r3000.S:277: Error: illegal operands `sw'
> r3000.S:337: Warning: Macro used $at after ".set noat"
> r3000.S:365: Warning: Macro used $at after ".set noat"
> r3000.S:526: Warning: Macro used $at after ".set noat"
> make[1]: *** [r3000.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/opt/home/stuarta/mips/linux-2.1.14/arch/mips/mips1'
> make: *** [linuxsubdirs] Error 2
> Suspecting this was something to do with the way I installed the binutils,
> I grab the binutil binaries for solaris 2.5 and gave them a go but this
> didn't improve matters....

Well, the problem is the source.  Paul's DECstation source tree is probably
completly out of sync with mine.  We'll fix that rsn.  Paul, maybe you
have a tree more suitable for DECstations for ftp at Softway?