Re: Linux/MIPS 2.1.36 uploaded

To: linux-mips@guadalquivir.fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Linux/MIPS 2.1.36 uploaded
From: paul@suede.sw.oz.au (Paul Antoine)
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 12:27:32 +1000 (EST)
Ralf wrote:

> Not at all.  David did invest quite a lot of work into the low level mm
> stuff and did a nice job in un-disgustifing (head.S ...) the code.

Yes, I noticed some of this in 2.1.14... well done David!

> Some of the changes:
>
>  - IRIX binary compatility code is in.

Run IRIX binaries on the DECStation... that'd be cute! :-)

>  - massive cleanup; lots of code has been moved around.

More moves than were in 2.1.14?

>  - Support for R4000/R4400 SC/MC style second level caches.  This means
>    Linux should now be working (modulo a stupid bug that kills all machines
>    that are wireing TLB entries on startup.) for machines like the
>    Mips Magnum 4000SC and the Millenium.

Cool!  Now all I need to do is be able to boot my Magnum 4000SC via the
MIPS proprietary boot protocol in BIG ENDIAN mode so I don't need an HD or a
video card...

>  - Linus' patches upto 2.1.36 applied.  Kernel NFS server is my favourite
>    inovation :-)

Sounds good.

> > Please tell me you won't do another release for a little while... so I can
> > get things stable on the DS's again and send you the code... :-)
>
> Oh, I'm just waiting for Linus to release 2.1.37.  Even more more fun :-)
>
> The good news for you is that I'll be in the Silicon Valley next week,
> so use this week ;-)

Can you reveal to the anxious audience what you'll be doing in that fun
part of the world?? :-)

> (If that shock was to hard for you I owe you a beer.  En Bruxelles avec
> notres amis Luc et Stoned ;-)

Sounds good to me!  I should find out when/where the next European High
Performance Computing conference is so I can get back to Europe.  It may
even be in France or Germany this time so you don't have to drive for 8 hours
to get to Bruxelles!  It would also be nice to see notres amis Luc et Stoned,
and find out what they've been up to...

Regards,
Paul