Re: Linux/MIPS 2.1.36 uploaded

To: linux-mips@guadalquivir.fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Linux/MIPS 2.1.36 uploaded
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@informatik.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 02:38:29 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi,

> > The number of changes compared to my last real release 2.1.14 is too
> > large to be enumerated and people still having patches against this
> > release will probably have their fun with them ...
>
> Arrrrrgggggghhhhhhh!  Can you highlight the big changes from 2.1.14??  I
> had foolishly assumed that your next release would be closer to 2.1.14 than
> the previous 'official' release...

Not at all.  David did invest quite a lot of work into the low level mm
stuff and did a nice job in un-disgustifing (head.S ...) the code.

Some of the changes:

 - partional Indy support is in.
 - IRIX binary compatility code is in.
 - massive cleanup; lots of code has been moved around.
 - Support for R4000/R4400 SC/MC style second level caches.  This means
   Linux should now be working (modulo a stupid bug that kills all machines
   that are wireing TLB entries on startup.) for machines like the
   Mips Magnum 4000SC and the Millenium.
   We should get rid of these mappings anyway; TLB entries are a very
   scarce resource and we should not waste them for hardware we access
   just now and then.  Things are different on the R3000 where we always
   have 8 wired entries but on the R4k where we can select the number
   ourselves we want as few of them as possible.
 - All the 64bit-isms for R4k kernels are out.  I'll add them back
   somewhen later.
 - PCI support.
 - ptrace(2) support is now in.  GDB to come rsn.
 - Linus' patches upto 2.1.36 applied.  Kernel NFS server is my favourite
   inovation :-)
 - Lots of changes to the code, especially the IRIX compat code code to
   adapt to the new mechanisms of Linux 2.1.x for accessing userspace from
   the kernel space.
 - Introduced kernel locking in the MIPS code as required for SMP.

> Please tell me you won't do another release for a little while... so I can
> get things stable on the DS's again and send you the code... :-)

Oh, I'm just waiting for Linus to release 2.1.37.  Even more more fun :-)

The good news for you is that I'll be in the Silicon Valley next week,
so use this week ;-)

  Ralf

(If that shock was to hard for you I owe you a beer.  En Bruxelles avec
notres amis Luc et Stoned ;-)