Re: DECStation update...

To: linux-mips@guadalquivir.fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECStation update...
From: paul@suede.sw.oz.au (Paul Antoine)
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 08:22:40 +3400 (EST)
Frieder and Michael wrote:

> > Hi Paul,
> > no problem, where do I find your kernel binary or source??
> >
> No problem from my side, too ...
>
> regards,
>       Michael Engel   (engel@unix-ag.uni-siegen.de)

I've just loaded the kernel binary onto Softway's FTP, and Luc's wonder-script
will pull that back to the main ftp site sometime today (I think this happens
hourly but can't remember).  I've created a link to it in the web page,
and have updated the Port Status and the Development Environment Notes to
reflect this.

The test kernel binary should be available at:

  ftp://ftp.fnet.fr/linux-mips/ftp.softway.com.au/dec_vmlinux.2.1.14.test.gz

Would you please check that it boots at least to the 'Added tags' point in
the kernel? It's not getting past the code at kernel_entry in head.S due to
R4K'isms in that portion of the code (due to R4K coders setting the assembler
to 'noreorder' then assuming all MIPS CPU's have 'some' interlocks as does
the R4K... :-)

The new DECStation code uses the 2100/3100 PROM routines prior to
initialising the driver code you both wrote.  It also should correctly
determine the amount of memory present... tell me if it doesn't, as I've
had to call either your code or the original DS5000 code that queries the PROM
depending upon which machine it detects... hopefully your code still works!!

Regards,
Paul