Re: Unidentified subject!

To: linux-mips@guadalquivir.fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Unidentified subject!
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 20:23:22 -0600
In message <199704251957.VAA32198@kernel.panic.julia.de> Ralf Baechle writes:
: and software interfaces and some properties of the hardware.  Essentially
: it's a standard that defines a pc-ified version of a SGI.  This standard

I'd describe it more like a MIPSified PC :-).  My Deskstation rPC44 is
almost exactly like a PC with a MIPS chip in it.  Down to using the
same interrupt and DMA controllers.  It even has a 640k lower memory
with a 384k hole for the ISA memory mapped deviced, followed by 31M of
memory.  The interrupt controller isn't run in cascade mode, so you
have to chain the interrupts yourself.  Also, DMA isn't cache coherent
on the MIPS processors, so you have to compensate for that somehow.

Later ARC machines departed more radically from the PC roots, I'm
given to believe, but I've not tried to port anything to these newer
ARC machines.

The Deskstation rPC44 was the first ARC machine made by Deskstation.
They no longer make MIPS machines, to the best of my knowledge.  The
last one they made was a 266MHz R4700 based machine.  They are, and
have been for at least two years, concentrating on the Alpha
marketplace.  I think their last machines were in the 500MHz range.

Warner