Re: Unidentified subject!

To: linux-mips@guadalquivir.fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Unidentified subject!
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@Julia.DE>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 21:57:31 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi,

> > I have an NEC RISCserver 2200 dual processor R4400 and I would like to have
> > more information on the port of Linux/MIPS.
>
> Colin, I don't know if the NEC machines have been tried with Linux/MIPS
> yet.  They are ARC systems, so it shouldn't be to difficult to get it to
> work--most of the currently working machines are ARC.  To be sure,
> however, only one processor will work at this point.

That's not exactly right.  The ARC standard defines only the hardware
and software interfaces and some properties of the hardware.  Essentially
it's a standard that defines a pc-ified version of a SGI.  This standard
however was already outdated two years ago ...  Microsoft then reduced
the ARC standard down to the "Portable Bootloader Standard" which just
defines a software interface good enough to load some OS, preferably NT.

To my knowledge not a single machine conforms to the ARC standard V1.0,
not even the reference implementation Magnum 4000 & Co.

Anyway, the NECs are based on the Magnum design (NEC licensed it ...) and
so they're similar.  ARC does not define things like a software interface
to the MP-Agent, the GFX hardware etc.  In short there is still some work
to do ...