Re: DECstations

To: linux-mips
Subject: Re: DECstations
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 09:43:42 -0600
In message <Pine.BSI.3.95.970415104232.14569A-100000@usr01.primenet.com> Jason
Wagner writes:
: Might be lucky enough to pick up a DECstation 5000/240.... I know NetBSD
: and perhaps FreeBSD ( and OpenBSD? ) run on it, as well as Ultrix, but was
: told that the Linux port was "in the making."  Anyone know if the linux
: port for DECstation 5000/240 ( R4300/40MHz I think ).  Or how its coming?

FreeBSD does not run on this platform.  At least not the latest
version that is checked into the FreeBSD CVS tree.  FreeBSD runs on
intel platforms only right now.

NetBSD and OpenBSD likely do not work on this beast, unless things
have very recently changed.  The pmax port for NetBSD and OpenBSD
support basically the same hardware.  And it is only the R3xxx based
decstations.  OpenBSD has an arc port which does support the R4xxx
chips (at least the ones that have a TLB) fairly well.  It should be a
small matter to port it to the DECstation assuming that you have
enough docs on the boot process (very early on in the booting of
OpenBSD the ARC BIOS is tossed out the window).  You chould be able to
sue devices from the pmax port, but I'm not aware of anybody having
actually done this work.

I don't think that Linux works on it yet, but I could be wrong.  There
has been much DECstation work done lately.

I don't know DECstation hardware to the level of detail to know if it
really is a R4300 in there or not.

Warner