Re: patch for DS3100/DS2100 16.61/12.45 Bogomips

To: linux-mips
Subject: Re: patch for DS3100/DS2100 16.61/12.45 Bogomips
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@informatik.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 10:14:07 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi,

> here the patch for the smallest DECstations.
> Well, it gets a little further than the calibrate_delay().
> The hardware setup is done completely without the PROM.
> Also included are the console code of Michael Engel and most of the patch
> of Harald Koerfgen.
> Hope that the CPU and FPU detection routine is applicable to any MIPS
> machine. For the moment it resides in arch/mips/dec/decstation.c.

As of development source tree the generic parts of the kernel know how to
detect different CPU types.  Still not much of FPU detection - practically
every MIPS configuration has a FPU.

> The memory detection relies on the dbe exception when reading as
> physically non-existing memory location. This should be ok, hopefully,
> for all DECstation. I could only test the code on some DS3100/DS2100.
> I altered arch/mips/dec/int-handler.S quite a bit, and I'm pretty shure
> that it'll not run on other machines, but it might be enough to correct
> the jump table.

> P.S. patch is uuencoded and generated with diff -a -r -N

Frieder, could you regenerate the patch as context diff (-urN) or unified
context diff (-urN)?  You sent an ed style diff which are really hard
to read, let alone to integrate into an changed source base.