Re: Console problems

To: linux-mips
Subject: Re: Console problems
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@informatik.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 23:53:35 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi,

> > boot C:\zImage

(make zdisk will make a bootable image and copy it to a floppy using
mcopy, that's easier ...)

> (I defined C: to point to my FAT-formatted SCSI disk under ARC)

Ok.

> from which point it appeared to load the kernel.  After a few seconds, the
> screen turned red-orange for an instant, then the bottom half of the
> screen went blue and the top was black with what appeared to be scrambled
> text with the scan lines all messed up and unreadable.
>
> When I hit the 'enter' key, the lines of garbled text scrolled down a few
> lines and then nothing would happen.
>
> Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?  I have the g364 framebuffer
> video card installed and an NE2000 in an ISA slot.  Other than that, it's
> a standard Magnum 4000PC...

Are you using the Magnum in Hires mode (1280x1024)?  Only 1024x768 is
working.  It also looks as if you've launched the kernel directly without
milo which won't work.

The onboard Sonic Ethernet is supported, so no need for the NE2000 -
unless you wish to use something worse than the Sonic ...