Re: stdin,stdout

To: linux-mips
Subject: Re: stdin,stdout
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@Julia.DE>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 23:33:01 +0200 (MET DST)

> and stderr need to be redefined to use the serial ports. I have looked
> for these in the kernel and I am unable to find them. I have managed to
> get printk to talk to the serial ports by using the register_console( )
> function. At this point I do not yet have a file system since SCSI is the
> next driver on my list. Is there a way in the kernel to redirect these,
> since we may never have a video display or keyboard on this box ?

Newest 2.1.x Kernels have an option to remove all the console code
and use a serial console instead.  You register_console() trick will
continue to work.

stdin/stdout/stderr are ordinary filedescriptors; defining redirecting
etc. is all a issue of user programs.  With the exception of the
initial process (/bin/sh, init) for which the kernel sets up things.
My current kernel already has the stuff to open a serial console.
Essentially everything you need to change is in init/main.c

Btw, is your board running little endian or big endian?