Re: Almost got 2.1.14.2 to a patchable stage...

To: linux-mips
Subject: Re: Almost got 2.1.14.2 to a patchable stage...
From: Dom Sweetman <dom@algor.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 13:29:43 +0100 (BST)
Ralf,

> The LinuxThreads add-on which is considered to be standard part of
> Linux glibc implementations uses ll/sc.

Warning: you and I know these instructions are valuable.  But NEC
believed (and perhaps still believe) that ll/sc are for
multiprocessors only, and in pursuit of this belief the Vr4100 core
has omitted these instructions.  Vr4100 is the flagship of NEC's
MIPS-on-a-chip activities...

I'm not at all convinced that those 32-bit CPUs which claim 'MIPS-2'
(R3900, miniRISC4010) implement ll/sc either.  Anyone in possession of
the manuals may like to correct me if they do.

Moral, directed at MIPS Technologies: if you're going to put a cute
feature on your CPU, why not explain why it was a good idea in words
which mere hardware engineers can understand.

Dominic Sweetman
dom@algor.co.uk