Re: 32.96 BogoMIPS on DECstation 5000/133

To: linux-mips
Subject: Re: 32.96 BogoMIPS on DECstation 5000/133
From: Jason Wagner <>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 07:41:37 -0700 (MST)
> is based on David S. Miller's Indy port of 2.0.14.  I upgraded it

I hope this doesn't offend anyone; this is just a curiosity of mine...
Unless you buy a nice used Indy without a disk and OS, why would you run
Linux on it?  SGI has hundreds of high-payed techies constantly tuning
IRIX to really scream on the MIPS architecture; why run Linux on the box?

On that note, has anyone benchmarked Linux Indy vs IRIX Indy?  ( I realize
the port may not be that complete yet; just wondering if anyone can maybe
speculate )

And does this mean I can run Linux on older SGIs ( Indigo R3k, 4D/xx,
4D/xxx, PI Series, R2k based machines, etc? )

Jason Wagner