Re: Harald's patches...

To: linux-mips
Subject: Re: Harald's patches...
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@informatik.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 11:30:29 +0200 (MET DST)
> > > Paul, you can grab the patches at
> > > http://www.netcologne.de/~nc-kreyema/patch-2.1.1.gz.
> >
> > I grabbed this file, but it appears corrupted.   The first 40 or so
> > lines are o.k., then the rest is trashed.  Can you double-check this
> > file is o.k. at your end... goodness knows what Netscape may have
> > done to it!
> >
> I've checked it and it appears that Netscape is having problems with
> downloading gzipped files via http.
>
> Paul, you may try the plain version:
>
>    http://www.netcologne.de/~nc-kreyema/patch-2.1.1

Check your application default file; the one distributed with the Linux
Netscape contains the following stuff which often seem to cause file
corruption and have the nasty property of wasting your diskspace.

*encodingFilters:                                \
       x-compress :  : .Z     : uncompress -c  \n\
       compress   :  : .Z     : uncompress -c  \n\
       x-gzip     :  : .z,.gz : gzip -cdq      \n\
       gzip       :  : .z,.gz : gzip -cdq      \n

I had no trouble downloading your patches - except that Netscape is a
really unhandy tool for downloads ...