Re: Problems with Linux-Mips

To: linux-mips
Subject: Re: Problems with Linux-Mips
From: Michael Engel <Michael.Engel@unix-ag.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 15:16:26 +0100 (MET)
Hi,

>   I would like to ask you a few questions concerning Linux/MIPS kernel.
>   Unfortunatly I crashed into some problems that I am not able to go arround.

Well, this is not surprising ...

>   I have Decstation 5000/25 with R3000 CPU. I've downloaded kernel version
>   2.1.1 ftp://ftp.softway.com.au/pub/linux-mips/dec_vmlinux.2.1.1.test.gz.
>   I tried tftp boot using another linux on i386 as a bootp server and
>   from kernel placed on Ultrix FS. The result was the same. In both cases
>   kernel prints initial messages for cputype, machine model, memory size,
>   etc and stops onto:
>
>     Please write the IRQ setup code for the DECstation!
>
>   I would like to ask the following questions:
>
>   1. Could this image boot on my machine? And what I have to do to make
>      it run?

Hmmm, it tells you exactly what to do - write the IRQ setup code. The
DECstation Linux kernel isn't yet comlete (maybe this should be in the FAQ ?).

If you want to do some kernel hacking, you're welcome to do so ! In fact,
some more code has been written but not yet integrated in a released kernel.
And we should probably integrate the DECstation code into the 2.1.14
kernel (or has this already been done, Ralf ?) ...

regards,
        Michael Engel   (engel@unix-ag.uni-siegen.de)