Re: Linux on Nintendo 64?

To: linux-mips
Subject: Re: Linux on Nintendo 64?
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@informatik.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 16:37:47 +0100 (MET)
Hi,

> a German Unix magazine just published an "april fool" about Linux running
> on Nintendo's new 64 bit game console...

Yes, it's a incredibly good april fool's joke.  They perfectly combined
lots of true facts into something that isn't true at all.

I talked to one of the editor on the CeBIT and he said they'd put the
article on the web on April, 1 in both English and German language.
Their web server is www.heise.de.

> How about it?! The magazine's editor said that he asked somebody on Cebit
> 97 and they said that everything one would need for a running kernel is
> already included in the machine (R4300, 4 MB RAM, etc.)
>
> So if there is anybody who could give me some info about the general
> feasibility, I would like to hear from you!

The thing is entirely suitable for Linux, though it's of course lacking
some of the usual peripherals like disks.  More RAM wouldn't be bad, also ...