Re: MIPS Magnum 4000

To: linux-mips
Subject: Re: MIPS Magnum 4000
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@informatik.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 16:11:26 +0100 (MET)
Hi,

> I wonder if any other PC cards had the same chipset as the magnum card ? I
> wonder how easy it would be diverting video O/P to an ISA card in one of the
> slots ?

Maybe there was a PC card - but the chip is not VGA compatible, so iff
there was a card, then it was only for a second monitor or so.  The chip
doesn't fit into the PC's crappy design because it has no character mode ...

Making the Magnum use a VGA card in it's slots will be easier than it
was to make it use the G364.

> Does anyone have any technical manuals for these boxes ? I have an old Mips
> R3330 server box that came with a full technical ref manual giving a full
> memory map so something along these lines may be useful.

I've got an offer from some guy to send me the manuals.  Apparently
he has what we need.

Does anybody on this list have the necessary facilities to OCR the manuals
and bring them into a redistributable state?

Alternatively the source bits and headers included with RISC/os also
contain information; the machine's hardware is much simpler than the
Magnum's.

> (The Inmos chip was designed just down the corridor from were I sit !).

Nice; in that case you shouldn't have probs getting the docs which isn't
easy nowadays.