Re: MIPS Magnum 4000

To: linux-mips
Subject: Re: MIPS Magnum 4000
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@Julia.DE>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 05:23:15 +0100 (MET)
Hi,

> In message <Pine.OSF.3.95q.970312165454.32229A-100000@osf1.gmu.edu> Ryan
> Rafferty writes:
> : > By work, I mean the following:  will the BIOS ignore the thing until
> : > it is booted (via a serial console, say), when the OS can then take
> : > over and dittle the video card in a standard way.  A $35 ISA card is a
> : > whole lot cheaper than the $315 Carrara one, no?
> :
> : Sure it is.  But it won't work.  The MIPS Magnum console doesn't know how
> : to use normal ISA video cards, and can't/won't send its display to them.
>
> So the normal ISA cards are ignored, which is OK.  Once the kernel
> gets running, it (eg Linux or OpenBSD) can initialize the standard ISA
> card (maybe the drivers for these need help, but it could do that).
>
> So there is no way to have a console that is directed to one of the
> serial ports rather than the special video card?  And therefore the
> boot process will completely fail?

That's easy; just disabeling all special Magnum stuff should bring you to
the point where the machine uses the ISA card as display.  And hey Warner,
you already gone through the procedure for the rPC44 (not very cleanly :-),
so you know what you have to do - just one exception: you need to initialize
the entire chipset on the card manually as long as we don't have a Intel
BIOS emulation.

  Ralf  (Now doing uadmin 2 0 for maintance :-)